Friday, September 9, 2011

Vouloir, C'est Pouvoir

The title for today is another favorite saying of mine. Vouloir, c'est pouvoir is the French way of saying, "where there's a will, there's a way." Meaning, I am going to learn this language. When I study, I just want to go ahead and finish my whole study book in one day! But then I have to remind myself that doing that would be pointless. There is no way that I could go through a 400 page book and remember every small detail about it. I just have to be patient. Good things come to those who are patient; is that the saying?

Anyway, I went to my class again this afternoon. Since it is Friday, my favorite teacher was in charge of today's class. I can already tell that I am going to prefer Tuesdays and Fridays because... A) Elo and I are the only students these days. B) The teacher speaks slower and makes sure I understand what she is saying. C) The material is easy cheesy basic information. I am sad that I only get two hours of learning in there.

After class, I decided to head on over to the train station to buy my ticket to Rennes. So I took the bus (I really am becoming a pro bus-taker) and got off at the station. Since I don't have my debit card yet, I couldn't buy my ticket at one of the electronic booths (at the booths I could easily 'cheat' my way through buying a ticket because they have English, German, French, Spanish, etc. text options), so I waited in line to talk to an actual person. I noticed that my line had an English option, but when I got up I told the lady I wanted to try and use my French. Once again, I was successful with buying a ticket using French! I was so proud. It really is the best feeling when I have a successful purchase, order, conversation, or whatever while using French only.

Unfortunately, I had to wait for the next bus for 30 minutes. However, since I was starving, I went to get lunch. I was so happy to see a family food place! Subway! So once again, I started my order with, "Je parle un petit peu français." The man answered in a thick French accent, "I speak a little English." While I was beginning my order about the bread, meat, and cheese, a big lady next to me was translating for me and speaking very loudly. My first thoughts were... 1) I can see the food items that he is pointing to. 2) I don't really remember wanting help. 3) Just because I'm American doesn't mean that I'm retarded. 4) Yes, I know what cheese is. When the man was asking if I wanted cheese, the woman kept saying cheese really loud and slow. I understand that she was trying to be nice, and help me, I could see that by the way she smiled and giggled, but it just made me feel annoyed and dumb.

Patricia, the house cleaner, was still at home when I arrived, but since she was vacuuming, she didn't notice me walk in. I wanted to stay out of her way, so I went upstairs in my room to eat my sub (I frightened her when she walked past my room later). Oh man, Subway here is 10x better! The bread choices here are different than in America, unless parmesan and oregano is a choice in the USA too. And the vegetables tasted fresher than they usually do when I eat at Subway. And even though they don't have mustard, well normal, American mustard that you put on hot dogs, the South Western sauce was delish! I don't know, maybe it just tasted amazing because I was missing American food and I was starving. After all, hunger is the best spice.

Remember how I spent eight hours in the sun not too long ago? Yeah well because of that sunburn, I am peeling now. It is gross, but I can't help but pick at the peeling skin. One of my friend's said I was like a snake, and it is totally true. I have never been able to peel so much at one time. Sorry if this is grossing you out. I will stop...

P.S. When the girls and I got back from their school, I went to study and they went to play. They came in my room in the strangest outfits I have ever seen!


6 comments:

  1. Do you remember that time you and Liz Scott dressed up here? THAT was the strangest costume!! Have fun in Rennes today and tomorrow. Will email more in my weekly letter to you.
    Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was laughing through this post! Love the CHEESE part...so funny! Good job with the successful purchase. Way to scare the cleaning lady. If I was with you I would be peeling your skin...I love that! Weird? Yes. :) 1850 W. 400 S., Orem the girls are cute. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. K I have no idea why an address appeared in there. Oops!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know about the train station ticket person, or the Subway people, but I am impressed with your French! Since I am learning Spanish, and realize how hard it is to actually carry on a conversation in another language, it makes me jealous of your skills! I know part of it is your youthful brain...keep working hard at it...it will come line upon line, precept upon precept, here a little there a little!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK, hope you had a great weekend. I flew to SLC to attend Geoff's and Laura's wedding. It was nice to see everyone again. They all send their love and have enjoyed reading your blog. By the way could you put me on the email notification so when you post I get an email that you have posted. I keep checking 5 or 6 times a day just to see if you have posted something. I really enjoy reading them. We miss you. We had Rosemary Chicken on Sunday--your favorite. We thought of you. Have a good week. Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  6. love it! and future reference...good things come to those who wait. Silly

    ReplyDelete