Friday, September 2, 2011

Coup De Soleil

Today was a beautiful day! The sun was out and shining, no clouds in sight, and the sea was sparkling. Unfortunately, I decided to wear jeans and a jacket to the sailing lessons... I don't know why I did such a crazy thing on such a marvelous day. I ended up sleeping while the kids were at their lesson, and when I woke up, I was sweating. At that point, I really regretted my outfit for the day. I only wore jeans because I didn't feel like shaving this morning, but I wished I wore shorts anyway. Lucky for me, Karine came to tell me that she was going to bring lunch and, if I wanted, a swimsuit! Of course I wanted my suit. I was jealous of the kids running and playing in the blue water! So when Karine came back, I changed and headed out to the water. I knew the water was going to be freezing, but it was a hot day (80 degrees for the high) and I wanted to go for a swim. Just so you know, I am one of those people that has to jump into the water or else I won't get in. If I try to ease myself into cold water, I chicken out and go some place warm. Today, I had no place to jump in the water so I had to force myself into cold water (60 degrees for the high this time of year). It was freezing. Eventually my legs just went numb so they weren't a problem. Maelle-Marie told me I just have to start swimming, but I wouldn't do that. I didn't want to go further, but I didn't want to chicken out either. So I splashed myself until I thought my skin could handle the shock. The water still chilled me, but I was swimming! And eventually I put my head under.

I forgot to mention earlier that I rarely swim in the ocean. I am deathly afraid of sharks and because of that fear, I don't go in water that I can't see whats going on AKA California beaches. I know the chances are very small to have a shark encounter, but what if I am the 1 in a million. They are fascinating creatures and I love watching things and learning more about them, but don't joke around about sharks if I'm trying to go in the ocean. Anyway, so while Maelle-Marie and I were venturing out into deeper water, I made the mistake of mentioning my fear of sharks. I believe that sharks won't be in cold water and as far North as St-Malo, but Maelle-Marie saying the 's' word gave me massive anxiety. She finally stopped when I turned around to walk back.

We were at the beach from 9:15 AM to 5:00 PM, plus a 15 minute walk home. Since I kept falling asleep while laying out, trying to get a tan, I forgot to put on sunscreen... I'm not lobster red, well not yet, but I am still sun burnt (which is where the inspiration for the title came from, coup de soleil = sunburn). So while I am typing this, I feel like I am radiating heat. Too bad it's not a cold night. But the places that didn't get burnt are getting darker. I am determined to get tan, and slowly but surely, it is happening. Hopefully I won't peel from this sunburn later...

Since Maelle-Marie, Aymeric, and I needed transportation to Rennes this weekend, Brooke and her host family came to St-Malo for dinner (plus we had a lot of crab and bucket of shellfish the kids caught to eat). It was a lot of fun! First of all, I got to meet Guilhem and Marie-Faustine, the younger kids Brooke takes care of. Guilhem, 7, is just as crazy and loud as Aymeric and they could almost be twins. And Marie-Faustine is a chatty and adorable 3 year old. We had dinner at the beach and played some volleyball. After dinner, we started a long-jump competition. Eventually we went back home for dessert and left for Rennes.

Brooke and I are very excited to have some time to ourselves, not that we don't like being with the kids. We plan to go to a restaurant, the farmers market, and church. I am looking forward to seeing the city. Unfortunately it is hot and humid, so I hear. And Rennes doesn't have a constant breeze like St-Malo. But no matter the weather, I'm sure I will have a good time.

5 comments:

  1. Cold water. Sounds like a fun day. We are anxious to here about rennes

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your cold water story because it reminded me of Mom. She was a wimp when it came to cold water too. :) Have fun this weekend! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok I am working on my French. Still do not know how to pronounce it.

    Comment l'Eglise aujourd'hui a été.

    How about that???? Happy Sabbath my Dear Annie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK, we are anxiously awaiting a report of your weekend in Rennes?? I keep checking I think you post about 2:00 AZ time. I will check later. Just love hearing about your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know how you got in that water! Burrrr! I got in our pool Saturday, anticipating it to feel like a bathtub, but it was cold! (for me anyway). The night temps must have dropped because it is still 110 during the day....I don't know anyone who likes to swim with sharks really, so don't feel alone there! Can't wait to hear about Rennes!

    ReplyDelete