Monday, September 19, 2011

Une Mauvaise Journée

This morning was just like any other normal school day. Woke up the girls, ate breakfast, went back upstairs to sleep for an hour, got ready for class, and then eventually went to class. A little bit after lunch, I started to feel sick. I am really getting tired of getting sick. Obviously it is something I am eating, but I am not positive on what my allergy is, or how to completely avoid it. I have narrowed the suspects down to goat products and strong tasting yogurts. I wish there was a way to find out the culprit with 100% surety!

So here is where the inspiration for the title came from. Une Mauvaise Journée means a poor day. I was walking to the bus stop to pick up the girls from school, and I saw my bus drive past the stop. The bus was six minutes early! I started to panic because the next bus was in 20 minutes and I would be 20 minutes late to get the girls! So I started speed walking and eventually ran. At one point, I thought I was taking a shortcut, but it just got me lost. Oh and I forgot to mention that it started raining. So I finally get to the school 15 minutes late to get the girls. And we missed our bus back so we had to walk home in the rain.

The girls didn't seem too flustered, but when I talked to Karine on the phone after the girls, she said they were about to cry. Okay I already felt terrible, and that just brought my mood down 10 notches. Obviously Karine was not happy, no one was, but all I could really say to her was I understand and I am sorry. She told me to stay with the girls and get them relaxed. I offered to make hot chocolate, get them a treat, but they said no to everything. So I unloaded the dishwasher and then told them time to do homework with Gypsia and some music. Well, I tried saying that. They looked confused, but eventually caught one. By the time homework was finished, I think the girls were in a better mood. I'm convinced they don't like me, especially Sarah, but hopefully I will be able to think of ways to win them over.

I felt very awkward when Karine got home, but eventually got over it. When dinner started, I wasn't that hungry, plus I felt sick, but I ate anyway. I thought that eating in silence was better than hiding in my room from conflict. Dinner was very good! And the mood wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be.

Karine drove by the bank to inquire about my debit card that we setup my second day in France. Yeah, it definitely should have arrived by now. Turns out, that they did put on order on the actual card yet. So hopefully I will get that in the mail soon. So now if I want money, I just have to go to my bank and give them my name and info and I can make my withdrawal.

As time went by, I kept feeling more sick and bloated. If this happens to anyone with an allergy, please let me know this is normal. I always thought allergies were hives and closed-up throats, but every time I bloat and throw up. Anyhow, I tried going to bed early, but instead I had to run to the bathroom. Although I hate throwing up, I always feel so much better after. So after swishing with water, mouthwash, and brushing my teeth again, I slept like a baby.

3 comments:

  1. It definitely sounds like you have a reaction to something. Sorry about your day. Just so you know my girls, Sarah especially, have a hard time with our nanny and she is wonderful. I think it is hard for them because they miss their mamma. So don't take it too personally. Just keep working at her. It can be hard to have someone new come into your home. I remember feeling like that when we had a nanny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I feel like a blog stalker commenting, but oh well. A lot of foods are irradiated in France, which is why their food tastes better, but might be why you are feeling sick. Milk, for example, isn't sold cold because it's irradiated (I'm not sure if I'm saying that right) but basically it's stronger than pasturization and kills off all enzymes making it extremely hard to digest. So if it is dairy like you were saying, it would make sense. You wouldn't get rashes, but just sick because you can't digest it.

    I was a foreign exchange student in France a long time ago so I enjoy reading your blog! I had a not so similar situation and I didn't come down to dinner (because I couldn't stop crying) and the mother screamed at me and made me eat! Oh, memories! Kind of traumatizing....
    Reading your story made me smile, especially since you sucked it up and ate dinner, where I did not! :)

    I hope you have a better day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Guess I should have said who I am..... Marie's friend growing up, lived by the Kemptons, jacksons, and yetters. Last time I saw you, you were a newborn..... :) so not completely random.....

    ReplyDelete