Tuesday, September 6, 2011

My First Day

After I woke up the girls this morning and went downstairs for breakfast, Karine informed that I was to start my French class today! I felt both nervous and very excited! I was excited to start learning the language and possibly make friends, but I was nervous I wouldn't be able to find my class and that my teacher would only speak French. It is hard to learn when stuff is being explained in a language you don't know. So after everyone left for work and school, I got ready for my class. The bus went faster and stopped closer to my school than I thought it would. So I arrived super early. Today is very windy and cold, so I stood in the small hallway outside of my classroom. Eventually the small class before me (mornings are for people that pretty much speak French, and the afternoons are for beginners, like me) ended and I entered! Today, there was only one other student. Her name Elo and she is 28 and comes from Estonia. She is living with her boyfriend in St Malo. The teacher was hard to understand just because she was speaking French the whole time, but luckily the class lesson was very basic information.

I came home to find my laundry clean and neatly folded. Patricia, the cleaning lady, is a pro clothes folder. And everything looks ironed. I wish she knew that she really doesn't have to give my clothes special treatment. But now I feel like I will keep my drawers more neat so I don't mess up Patricia's pro folding. It is nice not having to do my own laundry...

I have run into a problem. When I try to tell the girls to do something that they don't want, I don't know how to get them to actually do it. I spent 20 minutes today trying to get Sarah to practice the piano. Which is funny because I remember hating playing the piano when I was little. Maybe it's karma... Eventually I gave up and figured Karine could take care of it and I could ask her how to handle it better. I didn't want to do something like take the book from her or drag her downstairs because I didn't know if that was crossing the line. Plus the only things I knew how to say were yes and please. But I have permission from Karine to be more firm.

For dinner tonight, we had this yummy potato salad! It had smoked fish in it. I don't know if they were scales, but the shiny silver outside of the fish was still on the meat. I really liked the flavor of the salad, but my mind was having a hard time eating the fish with the scales still on. Funny how something can taste so good, but because your mind wants to think it is gross, you have a hard time swallowing. For the third night in a row, we had this delicious apple crumble for dessert! For all those who make a crumble for pies or other treats, try adding some oatmeal to the mix. It is fantastic!

P.S. Thank you all who read my blog! I have hit over 1,000 views! Woo! I hope to continue to keep my readers happy.

4 comments:

  1. It's totally karma! :) Good luck with getting a little more tough with the girls! You can do it! And good luck with your class!! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Be sure to afterwards "show forth an increase of love, lest he [they] esteem thee to be thine enemy" This is a good principle for us all when correcting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Make sure you start a recipe book so you can savor the apple crumble and potato salad for years to come! Then, share them with me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL! Welcome to my life =). When you figure than one out will ya let me know?

    ReplyDelete