Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Bon Appétit

Today, the girls did not have school. France has school Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. They do have longer school days though. Instead of going 8:30 AM to 3:00 PM, they do 8:20 AM to 4:50 PM. Anyway, so the girls had a day off. We slept in, had breakfast late (9:00 AM), and sat around. I was in my room studying most of the morning, and the girls read or made little art projects. Karine was going to bring McDonald's for lunch around 1:00, so I prepared a salad a little before then. McDonald's here is good! Brooke believes it is because of the bread, and I totally agree! I worried that I will get back to America and everything will be ruined for me.

After lunch, I wanted to do something with the girls. I asked the girls if they would like to make bracelets, which they agreed to, so we needed to find the materials. We weren't exactly sure where we could find the materials, but we went out to find them anyway. Unfortunately, the materials were not at the big store, but they did have a ton of candy! I bought chocolates and caramels instead of material for bracelets. I didn't want our trip to the store to be pointless... Besides, I was really craving some chocolate.

We waiting for the bus while chewing on some delicious sweets, and shortly after boarding, we realized we were going to wrong way! Well, Sarah realized. Marion and I were too distracted with the delectable candies in my tote. So we got off at the next stop and started speed walking to another bus stop. I had no idea where Sarah was leading us, but felt like we should run. We started running until finally we saw the bus stop! I really hoped that we hadn't missed the bus, because I really didn't want to run anymore in sandals and carrying a massive tote. Luckily, while checking the schedule, our bus pulled up! We boarded, panting and hot. Unfortunately for us, the bus was extremely humid and smelly. I don't know why the driver didn't prop a window open...

Sarah really wanted to make dinner, and if Sarah wanted to, then Marion wanted to also. So I studied some more, and the girls started making dinner. I kept hearing loud noises, some fighting, and some blending. Every time I got worried, I would go check on them. Each time I peaked inside, the kitchen got messier and messier. I don't know if it was a total experiment, or if they tried to duplicate one of Karine's dishes. They were putting some mixture on peeled layers of chives and then wrapping it like a burrito. I was worried that the onions weren't going to be enough to eat, so I made some rice, and it's a good thing I did! The girls set the nice table in the living room, and pretended like Karine and I were guests at a fancy restaurant. They brought in the plates, and they looked awesome! I didn't know 10 and 8 year olds were capable of fancy presentation on dishes. And the dinner was pretty good! For dessert, the girls served blended strawberries frozen in a bowl, with yogurt and whipped cream on top. All in all, their dinner was a success.



1 comment: