Sunday, September 11, 2011

Gypsia

First of all, it is 9/11. It is so weird being in another country on such a day of remembrance. Normally, I would hear about it all day on the radio, television, and there would even be something about it in church. But here, no one ever mentioned. I only realized the significance of today when I wrote the date on a paper. I want to thank all those who are out serving our country and protecting our freedom. You are all strong, amazing people. Come home safely.

This morning, Brooke and I woke up late. Originally we planned to wake up earlier so we would have plenty of time to walk to the bus that took us to church. But because of our tardiness, we had to skip a lot of steps to getting ready for church, and walk fast to the bus. When we got outside, it was sprinkling and we didn't have time to get an umbrella. I am so happy I decided to bring sandals for church this week instead of heels (poor Brooke wore heeled boots) because we walked very fast over cobblestone and ran part of the way too. It was a good thing we decided to run because the bus was already at the stop when we got there. Brooke and I barely made it on! So after a 20 minute speed walk/run in the rain and a 10 minute bus ride, we still had to get off and walk to church. Lucky for us, some people from our ward pulled over and gave us a ride the rest of the way. We showed up to church quite damp. People told us that we should always have an umbrella handy because in Bretagne (Brittany) rain can come out of nowhere. Good to know...

Once again, I was lost in every class. The lessons were on chastity, but since I couldn't understand what they were saying, it was the only time that the chastity topic didn't seem awkward. Since it is the second Sunday this month, our church had a big lunch for all those who could stay. There were so many options I did not know where to start! I wanted to try everything on the tables, but I didn't have enough room on my plate, or in my stomach. Everything I put on my plate tasted delicious! My favorites were a type of pasta salad with cheese and meat, and some other type of mixture with tuna, corn, tomatoes, and something else. And when I went back for dessert, I had the same problem. So many choices, but not enough room for everything. Brooke and I were so happy to see that our cookies were eaten until the box was empty! And a pastry chef even commented on how good they were! Aw yeah! It was definitely a proud moment.

I have realized a sad thought. Going to church is going to be an expensive ordeal. I have to buy my train tickets to and from Rennes which would be 21 euros at the most for one weekend, and then I have to ride buses and a metro on Sunday to get to church which is around 3 euros. I could buy a bus pass so I don't have to pay Sunday, but that is around 100 euros. So all you people in America that live around the corner from a church, be grateful. Because I have to spend around 40% of my paycheck on travel just to get to church.

When I got back from Rennes, Karine told me they got a cat! I'm a dog person, but I don't mind cats. And when I got home I saw the cutest, tiny black kitten. The reason why they got a cat was because they found this poor little kitten in a random area all by itself mewing. They named her Gypsia and she is about three weeks old. She is stinking cute.


Sarah, Marion, and Gypsia

3 comments:

  1. Sooo cute!! Kalie will be so jealous. She cries nightly and begs for a cat. Mark keeps saying no. We started seeing mice again (ewwwww) so I don't think having a cat would be so bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just put the litter box in the garage so your house doesn't stink! Good thing with cats is that they can run around the neighborhood and do their own thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have a little cat...not by choice, its the neighbors but it always sneeks in. Last night i was doing the dishes and it snuck in and jumped on my foot. She likes to pounce, it scared me to death!

    ReplyDelete