Saturday, September 10, 2011

Captain America


This morning, I almost missed my train to Rennes. I had stayed up too late the night before Skyping a friend and because of that, I had a really hard time getting up in the morning. I packed so fast, that I forgot some things, like my toothbrush. But it was okay! I made it to my train and arrived in Rennes an hour later.

Brooke and I went out to lunch and then went to find ingredients to make cookies. We decided to make a treat for our church's lunch party on Sunday. At first, we planned on making homemade oreos (if you haven't had them yet, you need to make them) but we couldn't find pre made frosting in a can. So instead of homemade oreos, we decided to make nutella cookies. It was very hard to find ingredients. We had no idea where to find baking soda or baking powder (if someone can tell me the difference between these two items, please let me know), but the Troadecs had baking powder (baking soda can be found at pharmacies in France).

When we finally got home with the ingredients we needed, we started making the cookies. It was so hard. I never knew that baking could ever be so complicated. If we had the measuring cups and teaspoons that we usually use, I'm sure it would've only took about 15 minutes tops to make the cookie dough. It took us forever to try and figure out the conversions from cups to grams or ounces. Also, some ingredients here are a bit stronger than in America. Like cocoa, for example. So the cookies were veryyy chocolatey.

After cooking, I crashed. I felt bad because I know Brooke wanted to go to a museum, but instead I pretty much passed out on the couch. Too late now. But we definitely plan on seeing some sick châteaus and that museum too.

Later that night, we went to see a movie. It took a while to walk there, but we still arrived for a movie very early (we were the first ones in our theatre). It was a good thing though. Brooke and I wanted to get this card (it's free) that allows us to get discounted tickets, but we had no idea where to find them, or where to buy our movie tickets... So we copied the people around us and bought them at little electronic booths. After we had bought our tickets for Captain America (plus one euro for the 3D glasses) we found out how to get the discount cards. Oh well. It felt like it was my first time in a theater. We had no idea where to go or where to buy things. We didn't know where the theaters were or how to find them. But we made it into the movie with snacks.

Before the movie started, a man tried asking Brooke something. We just laughed and said we don't speak French. Later we thought about that little incident. The guy probably thought we were very weird to see a movie in French when we didn't know French. I have no idea what they said in the movie, but I understood what was happening because I could see! Watching Captain America reminded me why I love super hero movies. The guys are always so hot.

1 comment:

  1. Wish we were there to help with the cookies. Sounds yummy. We took Kyla and saw "The Help' last night. It was very good. We should all see it. Glad you had a good weekend in Rennes. How was the Sunday lunch party. Who comes to that?

    ReplyDelete