Thursday, September 8, 2011

I Have Discovered My Allergy

I think the meal that the girls made last night contained goat cheese. Once again I woke up this morning feeling sick. My stomach felt like it was tied in knots! I asked Sarah what exactly was in their sauce, and she said goat cheese. One of the reasons why my host family eats goat cheese is because Bertrand and Marion are allergic to normal dairy products from cows. And it turns out (at least I am pretty positive) I'm allergic to their substitute, goat products. I think it is pretty funny, but I am sure it'll turn out to be annoying when I am trying to make something that needs dairy. Good thing they have soy milk here. I've gone all through life without being allergic to anything, until now, and it is lame. I really like goat cheese! But now I can't have it, unless I want to wake up sick.

Anyway so I woke up this morning feeling terrible, but both Karine and Bertrand are out of town so I was responsible for bringing the girls to school. I skipped breakfast. Instead, I sat close to the bathroom, you know, just in case. I was nervous I was going to puke on the bus, so I brought a gallon sized zip-lock bag. Thankfully, I made the trip to and from their school, and even the whole day, without throwing up. I felt better after taking a nap.

Later, I went to my class. Today I had a different teacher. I don't remember either of my teachers' names, but the younger lady (she speaks slower so I can barely understand) teaches on Tuesdays and Fridays. The older lady (who speaks a lot faster and with words I have never heard) teaches Mondays and Thursdays. Class is going to be very hard for a while. Luckily, Elo knows English, so I can ask her questions after class if I need to!

When I got back from class, I watched a movie. Don't ask me what it was about because I don't know. Well I think I have an idea. It was an action movie, similar to Mission Impossible, about a man trying to figure out who assassinated his adoptive father. No one knew about this secret adoption. His father happened to be the owner of a massive, wealthy company, so because of this man's new inheritance, people were attempting to assassinate him as well. Parts of it were in English, French, and sometimes German, I'm guessing. Even without the dialogue being in English the whole film, I understood it was very intense! But I don't quite understand the ending.

I have discovered how to get the girls to do what I want. Candy. After they do their homework, shower, etc. I reward them with a caramel or their choice. It is a beautiful thing. Until I run out...

Tonight for dinner, we were supposed to have left overs from last night. Karine had mixed their sauce into the extra rice and then Sarah and I chopped up some tomatoes to add. Since I figured out goat products were in the sauce, I had to make something else for me. Well, I just heated up some leftovers from another dinner. Just so you know, we don't have a microwave here. I don't know why. Maybe their old one broke, or they just didn't feel like using a microwave. Anyway, I am learning how to live without the convenience of a microwave.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you figured it out! No more goat cheese for you...I think that's a good thing. :) And good job on the bribing. That always works. :) Love you!

    ReplyDelete