Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Locked Out

While I was getting ready this morning, I noticed two things. 1) I couldn't find my shampoo or body wash anywhere. 2) I was also missing deodorant. My guess is that one of the girls hid them. Hopefully just for fun, but who knows, it could also be because they were mad at me... Anyway so because I was searching through the entire house for some deodorant (which I couldn't find so I went without), I missed the 10:24 and the 10:34 buses to my class. There is a 10:44 bus, but I never took it because I was afraid it would make me just a little late to class. But today, I had no choice. So I get off the bus, and start walking the small distance to the class and realize I passed it. It was already a little past 11:00, but I didn't want to run. I was really trying not to sweat because I didn't have deodorant and I didn't want to smell bad! Luckily when I got to class, my classmates were still waiting outside the door.

On my way home, I stopped by the supermarket to buy more shampoo, conditioner, body wash, face wash, and deodorant. Deodorant here is weird. They don't have the normal stick stuff, its all spray or liquid roller, which I don't like. But I just had to settle.

When I got home, I called Elo to see if the little soirée was still taking place tonight. She was still waiting on news from another girl, but she said if other people can't come, we should just go to dinner. Later she called to say that the soirée was on! I was so excited to get to know my classmates better, especially since they all know English. It is funny how when I meet people who know English, I automatically stick to them like glue. I think it has something to do with me being able to communicate with them. Anyway so I planned to take the bus as close to her house as I could and walk the rest of the way. To get home, I already had a ride figured out. I told Elo that my bus was at 7:12 and she said she would look out for me.


First problem I ran into, I looked at 17:12 not 19:12. So the next bus was really at 19:31. I had to wait in the wind and cold for quite some time. Second problem, I wasn't exactly positive of where Elo's house was. I kinda just walked in a general direction that I remember from google maps. I remember her telling me that she lived in an apartment that was new, and there was construction outside that you could see from her balcony. So I had clues on where she lived, and I could definitely see new buildings (it is very easy to tell which buildings are new and 'modern' and which ones are old), I just didn't know exactly how to get to them. Finally I got to a street that led to new houses and walked down that road. And when I was walking by the apartments looking for Elo, she found me first! She was so happy I found her apartment because she was so worried! I didn't have a phone she could call to find me. But I made it.


It was nice being independent from my family. I really like my family and enjoy being around them, but it annoys me how dependent on them I am. So this little soirée was very nice. There were only four of us; Oswaldo, Elo, Thamine, and I. We spent the time talking about each other. It was funny because they are all 28 and I'm 18. They all have a significant other, wife, husband, boyfriend, that are French, but here I am single and not so experienced in the relationship department. So I just listened. At some moments I thought how neat it was to be hanging out with people of other cultures. We had an Estonian, Mexican, Brazilian, and an American (me). Obviously, I didn't feel like the exotic addition to the party. I don't believe there is anything exotic about being American.

Anyway, we talked for a long time about the French language, grammar, the frustrations of not being able to speak, and the culture. I was glad to know that I wasn't the only one that is still not sure on how the cheek kissing works. All I know is that it takes a long time to say hello and goodbye because you have to go to everyone and give two kisses. It will probably take a while for me to get used to people getting close to my face. Although I like the cheek kissing, it still makes me feel a little uneasy. I believe that I will miss good 'ole hugs. So if any of you come to visit, give me a hug!

Thamine and her husband gave me a ride home, which I was thankful for. I had my keys and everything to be able to get inside the house, but the door wouldn't open. The door has three locks. One for the handle, and two dead bolt sort of things. My key doesn't work for the dead bolts. I didn't want to ring the doorbell because I didn't know who was asleep, and I couldn't go to a window to find someone because all the shutters were down. So using one of my keychains items (a scoubidou that my friend Leah made me), I pushed open a little opening on the door that is used as a peephole. I could see a light was on in the living room; someone had to be awake. So I stood outside the house for 45 minutes knocking and talking in the little people hole door. Finally, Sarah had walked downstairs (she must have been asleep and I woke her... oops, but thank goodness) and caught Bertrand's attention. I finally got inside, and went straight to bed.

2 comments:

  1. Not only French, but a multi-cultural experience! I am living it all through your postings! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how scary! I am glad you were led to the right house. How wonderful to have friends.

    ReplyDelete