Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Which One is the Grossest... Speedos or Canned Peas and Carrots?

Nothing super special happened today. Things went the same as yesterday for the most part. The kids' lessons started later today because of the tides or something. And for some reason, I thought the lesson was 30 minutes later than yesterday's when it was actually an hour later. So when we got to beach, we were extra early. Since yesterday was so cold at the beach, I decided to bring sweatpants to put over my shorts while we waiting for the kids' sailing lessons to finish. Oh boy was I happy I brought them. We had the same weather as yesterday, minus the random sprinkling showers. Brooke and I decided we are going to start bringing French books to read at the beach. That way the two and a half hours won't be a total waste of time. Although, I don't think nap time is ever a waste of time... While sitting around on the beach today, a hairy French man was walking around taking pictures in a jacket. And it really looked like he was only wearing a jacket... Every time he walked by I wanted to take a picture, but I didn't want to be rude! Eventually he raised his arms to take a picture of something (there are lots of somethings to take snapshots of in France), and there it was! His small black speedo. Ew. But at least we knew he was wearing something! It's still going to take a while to get used to this whole speedo fad here...

For those who don't know, one of my jobs here is to cook every Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday, and sometimes other days. Tonight was super easy, canned peas and carrots, sausage hot dogs called Knacki's, and of course, bread. I have never cooked canned peas or carrots before so I was a little nervous. Silly how such an easy meal could cause me to worry! We didn't know if we were supposed to boil them or kind of do a stir fry with them. So we tried to read the label, but there were no directions, then we looked online and saw that people mostly just put them in casseroles. I decided to just plop them into a pan with butter and salt. I knew that would be way too plain, boring, and gross for any of us to eat. Suddenly I remembered something my dad did! Whenever we had carrots for Sunday dinner, he added lots of butter and brown sugar. Oh man, those carrots are tasty! So I found the sugar and put a generous amount in the pan. When I tasted the peas and carrots, they were much better, but still too plain for me. It needed some seasoning. So I went searching through the cupboards, hoping I would find either rosemary or thyme. Luckily, I found both, and after mixing them in, the peas and carrots actually tasted good! I was so proud to see everyone go back for seconds and thirds until all the peas and carrots were gone!

8 comments:

  1. I'm so proud of you!! Mom would be too. :) FaceTime me soon!! We miss you and love you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You rocked those peas and carrots. Sounds yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok this is the fourth time I have posted this comment. I am still a little slow at this "blogging stuff".

    Your Mother learned the brown sugar trick from Grandma Dyer who I am sure learned it from your Great-Grandma Inie. Way to go. You were quite creative!!! It is always a good sign when they go back for more. You have always been able to spice foods very nicely. You have got to learn how to bake French Breads. I want you to teach me when you get back. Keep up the blog, we all love ready it even if we cannot figure out how to comment. We love you...Dad

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dad, we don't make French bread here. We buy it at the best bread shop in town! And I'm glad you finally figured out how to comment, Dad! I love you!

    Michelle and Marie, I love you guys! Let's have a FaceTime party soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. can you do a group facetime? with everyone on at once??

    ReplyDelete
  8. No I can only call one person at a time, but since they live so close, I can talk to all of them by calling either Marie or Michelle. They can just all go to the same place.

    ReplyDelete