Saturday, August 27, 2011

Intramuros

Today Bertrand took me and Brooke to the old city in St-Malo. From the outside it looked beautiful! The walls surrounded a city with tall buildings and cobble stone streets. There are lots of shops inside the old city. Now I know where my first shopping spree will be... Don't get mad at me Dad! My favorite building within the walls, was the cathedral. I really wanted to take pictures from the inside, but I felt like it would be rude to all the people lighting candles or praying. Bertrand lead us to the top of the walls and the view was amazing! The sea was so clear and colorful. I even saw the Bon-Secours beach (before coming here I looked at the beaches and Bon-Secours was my favorite, it was a pool, including a diving board, that gets filled with the ocean). Bertrand tried to explain more about the history of St-Malo, but I was too distracted with the sights. Oh well, just means I have to go back! Unfortunately, it was very cold and very windy, especially on top of the walls. It is summertime and I am already freezing. I will probably have to do my winter clothes shopping soon because my Arizonan wardrobe is definitely not prepared for the weather I will be experiencing...




Later, while Bertrand and Karine were playing a match of tennis, the kids, Brooke, and I walked to a park to play. We brought some sport equipment to play volleyball, bocce ball, and badminton. I tried a couple of times to play volleyball with Aymeric, but it wasn't very successful. I don't know if any of you have tried to play volleyball with a nine year old before, but I can tell you that it is more like playing fetch. Good thing he had a lot of energy to run after the ball. The girls just wanted to play house/restaurant. They made Brooke, Aymeric, and I pretend like we were customers and they were the people who owned the restaurant. I'm not gonna lie, their pretend dishes looked pretty legit. I wish I took a picture of the main dish. They found big leaves for plates, and then picked a whole bunch of wildflowers to act as the food. Aymeric threw his food, and I picked off the petals and tried to put them in Aymeric's hair. Brooke was the only one who didn't play with her food. Then for dessert, they took the birdies from the badminton set and put leaves and flowers inside. After 'eating' our meals, we played cops and robbers in a darker, creepier part of the park. Oh yeah, we are awesome au pairs... It was fun, until I stepped in dog poop.

This is of me freezing.




Speaking of poop, Karine bought pink toilet paper! I know. Very random, but c'mon, you don't see pink toilet paper everyday! The last time I saw pink toilet paper, it was strung through our trees by some anonymous kid(s). Another random thought, the candy I have tried here is pretty good. The kids are obsessed with a candy called Scoubidous. They remind me of Twizzlers but longer and colorful. And they taste better. The other day, Brooke bought some chocolate called Côte D'Or. It was soooo good! I've been making lists about the best candies here, but I do miss a good 'ole Butterfinger. And peanut butter M&M's. Those two are my favorite! I wonder if I will be able to find them somewhere...

2 comments: