Monday, August 22, 2011

Mon Jour À La Plage

Title translation, my day at the beach. Today was the kids' first sailing lesson. We woke up, had our breakfast, packed the lunches, and headed out for the beach! Sadly, it wasn't how I pictured our task. I pictured the sun shining bright, warm sand, and a nice salty breeze coming from the sea. Instead we had overcast, sometimes sprinkling, cold, damp sand, and a freezing breeze that seemed to come from all directions. Brooke and I sat on the beach out in the open for a while... But then decided to move to an area that blocked more wind.










A little before the lesson ended, Brooke and I went to the boulangerie (bakery) to buy a baguette for our lunch. We decided to go together, but only one of us would go in to buy it. I decided I was ready to make my first purchase in France. After waiting in line for a moment, I told the lady behind the counter, "Je voudrais acheter une baguette traditionelle s'il vous plait." Meaning, I would like to buy a traditional baguette please. Oh man, I know I sounded totally silly, but we got our baguette! And even better, she understood me! I was very happy that I remembered something from taking French at school. We walked back to the beach feeling very proud.

The kids have never-ending energy. In the morning they sailed. Then they played on the beach. After lunch, we played tag (I'm still finding sand in my hair, ears, etc). They took four 15 minute walks. They jumped on the tramp outside. They played ping pong in the basement, games upstairs, and at dinner, they were still bouncing off the walls! We got them in bed at 8, but then the thunder and lightning came in... We ran outside to get their wetsuits so they could dry inside, instead of getting soaked in the rain. After singing and then putting all the kids in the same room, we finally got them settled. So much for getting to bed early... I sure hope they crash tomorrow night.

While walking around town today, I took a few snapshots! Some are just flowers that I liked, or roads/buildings I thought were pretty. If you want to see more photos, click on this link ---> Facebook and it will go to my photo album, A Year in France.

P.S. The last photo is a picture of my house!









3 comments:

  1. France is so beautiful!! And what an adorable little house! Where did your "parents" go that you guys had to put the kids in bed? Good thing you put my kids in bed a lot. It was good practice! I love you!! And seriously keep up the good work on the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. To be honest, I have no idea where Bertrand is, but he probably went on a business trip. Karine went to Nigeria for a business trip. She comes back tonight around dinnertime.
    Thank you! It makes me feel so happy to know people like the blog! I don't know if I will have things to post everyday, but I will try!

    ReplyDelete