Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Cœur Qui Soupire N'a Pas Ce Qu'il Désire

Sorry I have been lazy everyone! I'll do my best to keep posting everyday. This post is for Tuesday and Wednesday.

The title is my new favorite French proverb! If you translated the words literally, it would say "the heart that sighs does not have what it desires". It sounds beautiful in French, and it is used when someone seems unhappy or is longing for something. We would say, "Hey you look sad, what's wrong?" I can't wait for the day I can actually use this saying and understand the response.

Speaking of responding to the French people, there has been a few times where a French person tried to start a conversation with me. The first time was a photographer that was tried to sell photos of the kids sailing. Luckily, I said, "No merci," and he walked away. Then next time was a middle-aged woman. She noticed I was speaking English and asked if I was English. I was very grateful that she was trying to use what little English she knew. I explained to her using basic English and basic French (what I like to call franglais, français + anglais) that I am an au pair and I am an American. Eventually we ran out of words that we knew, so we said our goodbyes. The third incident was when I was sitting on my towel on the sand. An old woman that takes a swim every morning started chattering away about something. I tried to tell her that I don't speak French, but she didn't hear me. She just kept gabbering away until I said, "Je ne parle pas français," louder this time. Then she kinda just sighed and said oh la la and went to basic questions. I once again said that I was an au pair and American. She asked if it was for my studies. I said no, but didn't know how to say it was just for an experience and to learn more of the language and culture. Then she said, "Vous êtes très jolie," which means you are very pretty. At first I didn't know if she was saying I was pretty or something else, so she clarified with the word belle (beautiful).

I have decided to show you how crazy the tides are here, so I took pictures of the ocean before and after the sailing lessons. Insane, right? P.S. the beach was FREEZING! I was in jeans, a long sleeve shirt, and a sweatshirt laying face down on a towel with my hood on. I probably looked ridiculous, but my spot was warmer so I didn't want to move...




When we got home from the lessons, Bertrand had his mom and some friends over. I guess we were supposes to eat before they got here, but I didn't know that until we were walking home 40 minutes after the lesson ended. Anyway it worked out and later I went to the beach with the kids again. Living by the sea here makes me want to always live by a beach... It is so relaxing! And I'm getting a slight tan.

So on Wednesday, it was pretty much the same story as Tuesday. Except on Wednesday, we went back to the beach to hunt for crabs! We weren't too successful in our hunt, but we did catch five. But I guess I can only say we caught four because one ran away at night...



I learned that I don't have to do any of my own laundry while I am here in France. I'm beginning to think that this au pair thing isn't even a job! I feel like I'm getting spoiled here! My phone was activated so I can now contact Karine and eventually Brooke. And I'm finally going to get to go to Rennes this weekend! I am so excited! Rennes is bigger than my city, and since it is a college town, there are people my age. So Brooke and I plan to go to a restaurant and finally attend church. I love Saint-Malo, but it is filled with older people. At least they seem nice! I'm sure when I start my French class in September, I will finally see people my age. Hopefully there is someone who speaks English...

5 comments:

  1. Will you stay with Brooke? Also you need to check on the Medical Insurance questions. Who covers you and what coverage is their? Have fun in Rennes. Do you travel by yourself on the train. Who picks you up?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Opps, seems like Brooke and I have our (there/theirs) backwards. I meant "what coverage is there?"

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the way, thanks for the post. I check it multiple times each day. Love reading and seeing what you are doing. I love the ocean also. It does have a wonderful calming affect on anyone. Just to sit, watch and listen to the waves seems to bring peace. Keep writing, we all love to read your experiences. Oh, by the way. What have you cooked this week and how did it go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved talking to you today! You are the best! Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy Crap!! The tide was waaaayyy far up! That's crazy! You almost ran out of sand to sit on!

    ReplyDelete